May 29, 2024

The Scoop India

News You Need To Know

The complete story of construction, demolition of Babri Masjid and then construction of Ram Mandir.

Share and Enjoy !


The year was 1527, by this time Babar captured Delhi and the foundation of the Mughal Empire was laid in the country. Meanwhile, Babar sent one of his commanders, Mir Baqi, on an expedition to Chanderi. He did not get any special success here but when he reached Ayodhya, a grand temple was seen. Mir could not see the grandeur of the temple. The temple was demolished and Babri structure was built in its place. On which it was written that on the orders of the great ruler Babar, whose justice is talked about till heaven, the kind-hearted Mir Baqi gave a complete shape to this place of angels, that is, Mir Baqi named the mosque after his master Babar to please him. Kept Babri.

After Humayun, be it Akbar, Jahangir, Shahjahan or Aurangzeb, this dispute continued. Even during the British rule, there were riots and disputes, there were court cases, finally the country got independence in the year 1947. In December 1949, 9 days of Ramcharitmanas recitation was organized in Ayodhya. Mahant Digvijay Nath of Gorakhnath temple was also involved in this event. Idols of Lord Ram are found in the mosque on the night of 22 and 23 December. The blame falls on Hindus, it is said that they placed the idols at the disputed place. The worship of Ramlala starts in the mosque on the morning of 23 December. Hindus come there for worship and darshan while Muslims come there to protest. The matter again reaches the court. This was the time when the Constitution was not implemented in the country. The secularity of the Constitution had not yet been decided, yet on 29 December 1949, the court declared Babri Masjid a disputed site for the first time. After this, words like disputed structure started being used for Babri Masjid. After the court order, the mosque was locked outside. After this, the case continued in the court for the next three decades.

The year was 1984 when the Parliament of Religions was organized in Delhi. Vishwa Hindu Parishad leader Ashok Singhal talked about taking out the Rath Yatra, but within 6 months, Indira Gandhi was assassinated. The Rath Yatra was postponed. After Indira’s assassination, Rajiv Gandhi takes command and becomes Prime Minister. There were two important challenges for Rajiv. First, what should be the stand on the issue of Ram temple and second, how to control the mobilization of Hindu organizations. However, at this time an incident took place in the country, which added fuel to the fire of the temple movement. In fact, in the case of Shah Bano, resident of Indore, Rajiv Gandhi overturned the decision of the Supreme Court to please the Muslim vote bank.

Rajiv Gandhi knew that he would have to balance this decision. After this, Rajiv Gandhi put pressure on the then UP Chief Minister Veer Bahadur Singh to open the locks of Babri Masjid. A few days later, in 1986, the Faizabad court ordered to open the locks of Babri Masjid and also allowed worship in the temple. But the question is also whether worship was not done before this. Worship did take place, but only once a year by a priest appointed by the court. After the lock was opened, anyone could go to Ayodhya and worship. But the namaz had still not started. After the lock was opened, the Muslim side formed the Babri Masjid Action Committee. After the lock was opened, now it was the turn of worshiping Ramshilas across the country and taking them to Ayodhya. Then pressure started building on Rajiv for Bhoomi Pujan. He was in confusion. But once again he decided to save his Hindu vote bank. It is said that Rajiv approached Devraha Baba for the solution to this problem. Devraha Baba told him that the temple should be built, let the foundation stone be laid, child. The time for laying the foundation stone was fixed for 9 November 1989. Before this, Ramshilas were worshiped across the country. Communal tension also increased, riots took place at many places, hundreds of people were killed.

The year 1989 was an election year. Vote bank politics was in full swing. Rajiv Gandhi started his election rally from Ayodhya itself. But it did not benefit them. BJP got 85 seats in the 1989 Lok Sabha elections. In the earlier Lok Sabha elections, BJP had only 2 seats. BJP supported VP Singh. VP Singh became the Prime Minister. On 25 September 1990, Lal Krishna Advani announces the Rath Yatra. The Rath Yatra which was to be taken out from Somnath to Ayodhya, was to reach Ayodhya by 30 October 1990. Advani took out a rath yatra. During this period, there was a lot of violence and riots across the country, people also died. On October 23, Advani’s Rath Yatra reaches Samastipur in Bihar. On the orders of VP Singh, the then Chief Minister of Bihar Lalu Prasad Yadav stopped the Rath Yatra. Advani was arrested. When this information about the arrest reached Delhi, Atal Bihari Vajpayee withdrew support from VP Singh’s government.

VP Singh’s government at the Center fell, meanwhile Rajiv Gandhi was also no more, Congress again came to power and Narasimha Rao became the Prime Minister of the country. Now that day came, the domes built by Mir Baqi were broken, that is, on 6 December 1992, there was dust all around in Ayodhya. There was no storm blowing here, but this scene was no less than a storm. There was a huge crowd, it did not matter whether the crowd was in thousands or lakhs. Yes, one thing that was there in that entire crowd was enthusiasm and passion. There was not even an iota of deficiency in it. It seemed as if every person present there was a leader in himself. Jai Shri Ram Ramlala we will come. The height of the sky seemed to be falling short in front of deafening slogans like ‘One push will build the temple there’ and two ‘Demolish Babri Masjid’.

But earlier that day it was around 7 o’clock in the morning, Vishwa Hindu Parishad leader Vinay Katiyar was at his home Hindu Dham in Ayodhya. Suddenly he gets a call from the then Prime Minister of the country, Narasimha Rao. Prime Minister Rao talks to Vinay Katiyar and takes stock of the situation. Vinay Katiyar also assures them that the car service will be symbolic, as was decided yesterday, you can rest assured. There will be no demolition.

Well, about an hour had passed after the conversation between Prime Minister Rao and Vinay Katiyar ji, when BJP leader LK Advani ji reached Vinay Katiyar’s house along with Murli Manohar Joshi ji. Ashok Sinhal was already present here. Everyone had breakfast together. A strategy was being made on how to control the Kar Sevaks. The biggest cause of concern was how to control the increasing number of Kar Sevaks.

By the time this happened, about half an hour passed and suddenly, worried Chief Minister Kalyan Singh spoke to the three leaders on phone. And requested to handle the situation. It is said that Kalyan Singh ji was also worried due to the fear of some major untoward incident. After this Advani ji and Joshi ji went towards ‘Ram Katha Kunj’. It was about two hundred meters away from that place. Here the stage was prepared for senior leaders. This place was right in front of the disputed structure. The most special thing was that at that time the rapidly rising youth leader of BJP Uma Bharti ji was also present there. She had come after getting her hair cut, so that she could dodge the security forces.

On the other hand, a meeting was going on in Faizabad Circuit House with the District Magistrate and SSP along with Supreme Court Observer Tej Shankar. This meeting ended at around 9.30 and Union Home Secretary Madhav Godbole told the Director General of ITBP i.e. Indo-Tibetan Border Police to be ready with the central forces. As soon as the state government asks for their help, they should march without formal orders from the central government.

It was around ten o’clock, on the disputed platform where symbolic Kar Seva in the form of Yagya and Havan was to be held, the Kar Sevaks got angry after seeing Advani and Joshi ji. Sloganeering started. The kar sevaks broke the fence that was put up to stop them. From here, the intelligence department sent the news of the presence of about one lakh kar sevaks in Ramkatha Kunj to Delhi. Told that speeches of leaders are going on here, top leaders of BJP, Vishwa Hindu Parishad and Sangh are present on the stage, there is excitement all around, people are angry but everything is under control at present.

But some time had passed, at about 11.45 in the morning, the District Magistrate and Superintendent of Police of Faizabad visited the ‘Babri Masjid Ram Janmabhoomi Complex’. Perhaps even they could not understand the seriousness of the situation. To them too this entire event seemed like a normal car service event. But suddenly the Home Ministry got information through IB that 200 Kar Sevaks had forcibly entered the disputed building. The state police and PAC could not stop them. Local officials also did not interfere. Karsevaks have started demolition. This information was immediately given to Prime Minister Narasimha Rao and Home Minister SB Chavan. IB had installed three cameras in a room of Manas Bhawan. From where video recording was being done throughout the day.

But Ramdhun was so deeply ingrained in the minds of people that as time passed, the crowd there started increasing continuously. Suddenly in the afternoon a kar sevak somehow managed to reach the dome. After that, even the big leaders of BJP had no control over the events taking place there. His appeals were having no effect on the people. The Karsevaks had gone out of control to erase any trace of Babri. Looking at it, it seemed as if a proper rehearsal had been done to demolish this structure.

Seeing the matter escalating, the then Home Minister of the country SB Chavan spoke to Chief Minister Kalyan Singh on phone. And expressed concern about the attack on the structure and appealed to them to take immediate action and vacate the structure. The Home Minister told the Chief Minister, you should use central forces. Kalyan Singh said, we are getting conflicting reports. I will investigate the matter and let you know. But Kalyan Singh did not call the Home Minister again.

After this, Chief Minister Kalyan Singh ji contacted the Ayodhya control room and talked to the commissioner. He expressed his anger over whatever was going on. He also said, handle the situation without opening fire. During this, Supreme Court Observer Tej Shankar told the Registrar of the Supreme Court that there was something wrong on the structure.

​ The kar sevaks have boarded. However, no permanent construction is taking place. Actually Tejshankar had come to keep an eye on the permanent construction. Whereas Babri demolition was taking place there. That means his job was to keep an eye on construction and not on destruction.

At one o’clock the ITBP Director General informed the Home Ministry that the structure was being damaged. But UP Police is not taking any action. 2 battalions of Rapid Action Force are ready for action. The action will start as soon as the order is received. When the Home Ministry did not get any concrete reply from Kalyan Singh, at one o’clock the Union Home Minister spoke to UP Governor B Satyanarayana Reddy. Informed him about the attack on Babri structure. And asked them to intervene to save the structure.

Fifteen minutes later, DM Faizabad demanded 50 companies of central forces from DIG CRPF. Director General ITBP asked the district administration for magistrates for these central forces. In fact, under the law, security forces cannot proceed without a magistrate. But at 1.30 pm, the Ayodhya control room receives a written message from Chief Minister Kalyan Singh that no bullets will be fired. Without him, vacate the disputed premises. On the other hand, ITBP was worried. The Director General of ITBP again told the Home Ministry that a lot of damage has been done to the structure. But the UP Police is sitting idly by. And soon after this, three battalions of central forces left for Ayodhya along with the magistrate.

That is, by the time this happened, it was about 2 o’clock in the afternoon when Home Minister Chavan spoke to Chief Minister Kalyan Singh and then asked him what has been done till now to protect the structure? Kalyan Singh said, they are completely engaged in trying to save the structure. But he is forbidden from firing.

But something else was going on on the structure, that is, within no time the domes of the structure were captured by the Kar Sevaks. With crowbar, spade, chisel and hammer in their hands, they started attacking them. Whatever was in one’s hands became the tool to destroy that structure. And within no time Babri was becoming history.

On the other hand, there were mutual calls between UP DGP and ITBP, by the time it was about 3 o’clock the IB informed the Home Ministry that the first dome of the structure had collapsed. The situation is deteriorating rapidly. Communal incidents have also started in Ayodhya. There is a possibility of riots breaking out. Central forces are unable to reach the spot. Now the situation cannot be controlled without firing. For this, orders are being taken from the Chief Minister. But the Chief Minister has not given any order yet. Advani, Joshi and Singhal came again on the stage of Ramkatha Kunj. All three were looking quite worried. Uma Bharti was jumping with joy. She climbed onto Dr. Joshi’s back in joy.

Here in Delhi, Prime Minister Rao was silent. Rao’s blood pressure was high. The face was red. He was very excited. His heartbeat and pulse were fast. He was not saying anything. On the other hand, in Ayodhya, by evening i.e. around half past five, the main dome of the disputed mosque also collapsed. Vishwa Hindu Parishad calls it the sanctum sanctorum. All the local officers now left their places and ran away. There were only a few saints and sages in Ramkatha Kunj. Acharya Dharmendra, Sadhvi Ritambhara etc. Babri had become history. Karsevaks also started returning. whole complex of thoughtless mind

​ It looked kind of empty. The police forces who were standing to stop them suddenly formed long queues of those security forces to have darshan of Lord Shri Ram in the temporary temple of Ramlala. Even the warnings from higher officials were having no effect on the soldiers. Not only this, the soldiers deployed around that temporary temple took off their shoes, the eyes full of reverence for Lord Raj Ji and the bare feet of the soldiers were telling the story of the situation there.

After some time, Dr. Murli Manohar Joshi wrote an appeal in his own hand. In this, the Kar Sevaks were congratulated for demolishing the disputed mosque. Karsevaks were requested not to attack the houses and shops of Muslims of Ayodhya, because they have no enmity with the Muslims of Ayodhya. The story of Babri Masjid was over, the kar sevaks were returning towards the bus station and railway stations in full enthusiasm. Everyone had bricks, barricading pipes and pieces of debris in their hands. Karsevaks were carrying souvenirs of Vijay. But by then Chief Minister Kalyan Singh had resigned.

At around 5:30, the Union Home Ministry informed the resigned UP government that the army was ready. If the District Magistrate wants, army can be sent. The Home Ministry asked the Defense Ministry to keep three AN-12 aircraft ready at Lucknow airport. After some time, the idols of Ramlala were placed in a tent on the flat platform of the Babri structure and the construction of a temporary structure was started. At seven in the evening, the Union Cabinet recommended the dismissal of the UP government, dissolution of the Assembly and imposition of President’s rule. There were also reports that Kalyan Singh had resigned about three hours before the recommendation for dismissal. …and thus on December 6, this country saw history becoming history.. After about five hundred years, the construction structure which was once built by Mir Baqi, a general of the Mughal robber Babar, was razed to the ground.. now there The temple is going to be inaugurated again after 500 years….

Share and Enjoy !